I know New Year’s has already passed but it’s never too late to make a resolution. For those of your like me and exploring the depths of corporate america, you’re focused on trying to do your best. These resolutions will help you stay focused and make a lasting impression.
1. Learn one thing from every coworker. We learn 65% of what we know from coworker. Whether it’s a piece of advice, a fun fact, or a life lesson, you can learn so many things from the people around you. Learning one thing from all of your fellow coworkers makes you a better and well-rounded person.
2. Do one new thing each week. You won’t grow and improve if you don’t challenge yourself. I personally challenge myself through my creativity. I try and create flyers from scratch or write social media posts using SEO. Just because you do the same things at your job everyday, does not mean that you should plateau. Challenge yourself to push yourself further. Adding to your skill set only makes you more valuable.
3. Clear off your desk! The more stuff you have on your desk, the more frantic, frazzled and frenzied you’ll feel. You desk is sort of symbolic to your life, clutter desk, cluttered life. So declutter your desk and take steps towards organization and tranquility. Also, add some personal or homey touches, such as family pictures or cute decorations, to your desk so you feel more comfortable and relaxed.
4. Designate at least 1 hour each day to not think or talk about anything work related. We spend, on average, 100,000 hours working in our lifetime. Now, we may not be able to vacay in the Caribbean every weekend but give yourself a break, enough said. You deserve it.
5. Network. Network. Network. Did I say network? Get out there and make connections and build relationships. Attend everything from happy hours, expos, open house, etc. We know this but ultimately it’s not what you know, it’s who. People talk and the more people you meet, they more you will be known. Building a network is catalyst for success. I’m a true advocate of happy hour, I mean it’s a win-win situation!
BONUS: Today I met with our company coach and he went over my Hogan Assessment. It’s basically a test that shows what kind of reputation you’ll have as an employee and your strengths and weaknesses. I strongly suggest that everyone take it. It predicts you what kind of work environment you like, what kind of employee you are, how you handle situations, etc. Because I do not have much experience in the real world, learning these things about myself was beneficial.
Have a fabulous weekend y’all!